Skip to main content

Prologue


Well, hello again! Still the Fiza from fizasportfolio.wordpress.com, still doesn't know how to write an introductory post, still the same except it's already been a year with Media Studies, and we're onto the next step: my Advanced Portfolio.

I learned a lot from the subject last year. Especially how to improvise when you're hit by a pandemic out of nowhere which massacres your carefully crafted plans for the magazine. However, I will hopefully be able to incorporate whatever skills I've picked up that are relevant to media, in this blog as well as in my work. Since the COVID situation is more or less here to stay, one of my aims this year will be to see my planning till the very end, no spontaneity, no improvisations.

So the music video, the digipack. The part we've all been waiting for (or at least, I have). I was excited enough as it is last year for it because, well, it's a music video. Who wouldn't be excited? This year my enthusiasm has more of a meaning to it: I really can't wait to use all the technical and digital skills I've learned so far - the camera work (angles, shots, rules), the equipment, sounds, and especially the editing. I learned from previous portfolio's experience that post-production is actually my favourite part of the whole process.

I know for a fact this year isn't going to go any easier on me. I will have ten times more stuff to deal with just academically and it's no secret that Media Studies is a very hectic subject that demands much commitment, and more flexibility than Elastigirl. Time to keep my head above the water and get ready for the joyride of my life...

May the odds be (even more so) in my favour.

Here's me for reference





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection Essay

  My essay of the critical reflection of my work in the Advanced Portfolio will mainly address the following compulsory questions: How do my products represent social groups or issues? How do the elements of my production work together to create a sense of "branding"? How do my products engage with the audience? How did my research inform my products and the way they use or challenge conventions? All of my products in the artist's promotion package - music video, digipak and social media - were all constructed after meticulous planning phases in order to effectively reach the audience. This included great consideration given to the sort of message or concept, and the social group that we wanted to represent through our music video. The song that we chose, "Party Police" is pretty straightforward - the lyrics are about a couple whose relationship is gradually deteriorating, and as we hear from her perspective, one of them is striving to hold it together by any me

Music Video Final Cut

Since, she has now dropped Media Studies, Hira emailed me the Premiere file of the music video as well as the video itself that she edited on the 9th and then after I had requested some changes, she sent me another version on the 10th. However, due to the fact that she no longer took the subject and hence the bigger communication gap, I decided to make some remaining changes and alterations to the video myself, which included rearranging some clips and adding a different opening scene: After that I colour graded some parts of the footage to add a slight vintage effect, but not too much. I did this by adjusting the "faded film" scale in the Lumetri colours tab, and adding a slight noise effect to some clips. For some clips I downloaded a VHS overlay to get a *drumroll* VHS effect, by placing the overlay on top of the clip and setting the blend mode to "Screen". I felt that this added the lofi, retro handicam effect that we were initially aiming for as well not just b