Skip to main content

Set Brief


For the Advanced Portfolio, we've selected the set brief option for music promotion package, which includes a music video (obviously), and two minor tasks: social media page for promoting the artist or group, and a digipak.





The fun part about the Advanced Portfolio is that we get to explore and incorporate several forms of media (video, social and print) instead of just one (print) like last year. One similar aspect in my Foundation and Advanced portfolios, however, will be the overall workflow - the portfolio will be divided into three phases:





  1. Research. Where I will have to look into similar existing media forms and get a good grasp of what I need to work on, the codes and conventions involved, as well as the genre, the target audience. Our Media Studies teacher did mention that the research in the Advanced Portfolio is much more detailed and lengthy than in the Foundation Portfolio.
  2. Planning. Where I use the codes, conventions and other specifics that I learned through my research to start working on the rough drafts for my projects - mood boards, layouts, storyboards, initial photography, location recce, casting, schedules, props and equipment...all the blueprints for my final product(s).
  3. Production. Where I finalise and put together my project, reflecting my planning and research, and incorporating my technical skills to produce the final output.




And finally, the critical evaluation of my final project to mark the end of the Advanced Portfolio.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection Essay

  My essay of the critical reflection of my work in the Advanced Portfolio will mainly address the following compulsory questions: How do my products represent social groups or issues? How do the elements of my production work together to create a sense of "branding"? How do my products engage with the audience? How did my research inform my products and the way they use or challenge conventions? All of my products in the artist's promotion package - music video, digipak and social media - were all constructed after meticulous planning phases in order to effectively reach the audience. This included great consideration given to the sort of message or concept, and the social group that we wanted to represent through our music video. The song that we chose, "Party Police" is pretty straightforward - the lyrics are about a couple whose relationship is gradually deteriorating, and as we hear from her perspective, one of them is striving to hold it together by any me

Music Video Final Cut

Since, she has now dropped Media Studies, Hira emailed me the Premiere file of the music video as well as the video itself that she edited on the 9th and then after I had requested some changes, she sent me another version on the 10th. However, due to the fact that she no longer took the subject and hence the bigger communication gap, I decided to make some remaining changes and alterations to the video myself, which included rearranging some clips and adding a different opening scene: After that I colour graded some parts of the footage to add a slight vintage effect, but not too much. I did this by adjusting the "faded film" scale in the Lumetri colours tab, and adding a slight noise effect to some clips. For some clips I downloaded a VHS overlay to get a *drumroll* VHS effect, by placing the overlay on top of the clip and setting the blend mode to "Screen". I felt that this added the lofi, retro handicam effect that we were initially aiming for as well not just b