Skip to main content

Party Police - The Concept

 This task was done by Hira. The link to the original thing on her blog is at the end.

In my opinion, the song ‘Party Police’ is about a failed relationship, which one party is desperately trying to salvage, using whatever means she has at her disposal.

The lyrics of the song ‘i never really know what’s on your mind/is it ever me or just someone you left behind?’ – this to me reflects an uncertainty, an insecurity of our narrator in the relationship. she doesn’t even know how to make sense of it, if he ever really loved her, or is she just a rebound. Moreover, the lines ‘when everyday’s a hurricane/you know there’s something wrong’ show how the relationship has clearly been troubled for a long long time now, even if unclear why – its clear that the relationship has turned sour. The narrator, while knowing all these things, is desperate to keep the relationship going: ‘you don’t have to leave, you could just stay here with me’ and that he should just ‘forget all the party police/we could find comfort in debauchery’ – she so badly wants him to stay that she tries to appeal to him with instruments of pure pleasure and indulgence, which are known to be destructive in nature, but she doesn’t care, she is ready to immerse herself into hedonism if it means he’ll stay.

The song, even though, sings about refusing to move on – ends with the narrator actually making peace of their sitaution and letting go – ‘if you don’t want to/you don’t have to’: this could mean two things: either that she recognises that nothing is going to fill the void that’s developed between them and its best to move on, or that she is so under his spell that she puts his happiness before hers, complying to his wishes without caring for her own, with the abrupt shift in the lyrics that changed from her pleas to keep him near to her letting him go, which also goes with the fact that she was ready to destroy herself for him.

The song thus has twofold meanings: its clearly a song about the self destructing nature one can adopt in relationships. Themes of insecurity, loss, bargaining and grief are prevalent. Its elusive meaning allows us to decide whether it is more destructive or peaceful.

https://hirasadvancedportfolio.wordpress.com/2020/11/19/concept-of-ze-song/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection Essay

  My essay of the critical reflection of my work in the Advanced Portfolio will mainly address the following compulsory questions: How do my products represent social groups or issues? How do the elements of my production work together to create a sense of "branding"? How do my products engage with the audience? How did my research inform my products and the way they use or challenge conventions? All of my products in the artist's promotion package - music video, digipak and social media - were all constructed after meticulous planning phases in order to effectively reach the audience. This included great consideration given to the sort of message or concept, and the social group that we wanted to represent through our music video. The song that we chose, "Party Police" is pretty straightforward - the lyrics are about a couple whose relationship is gradually deteriorating, and as we hear from her perspective, one of them is striving to hold it together by any me

Music Video Final Cut

Since, she has now dropped Media Studies, Hira emailed me the Premiere file of the music video as well as the video itself that she edited on the 9th and then after I had requested some changes, she sent me another version on the 10th. However, due to the fact that she no longer took the subject and hence the bigger communication gap, I decided to make some remaining changes and alterations to the video myself, which included rearranging some clips and adding a different opening scene: After that I colour graded some parts of the footage to add a slight vintage effect, but not too much. I did this by adjusting the "faded film" scale in the Lumetri colours tab, and adding a slight noise effect to some clips. For some clips I downloaded a VHS overlay to get a *drumroll* VHS effect, by placing the overlay on top of the clip and setting the blend mode to "Screen". I felt that this added the lofi, retro handicam effect that we were initially aiming for as well not just b