Skip to main content

Digipak: Back Cover

For the back cover, we had the clearest idea of what to do (https://youtu.be/ZrX1XKtShSI?t=41). We had already taken the pictures for the digipak on production day 2.


Fun fact: the motion blur was purely an accident and during filming and then we liked that effect and took better photos with the same camera settings (basically a very low shutter speed). Nevertheless, the image suits the theme very well in every way, including the disorientation and also including clear aspects from the music video.


Same as with the front cover, I opened a new file with the dimensions 5.45" x 4.95" and then opened the selected image. I had to adjust it a bit because it was obviously way too much larger than the canvas, and then adjusted the saturation and brightness a little, since most of the work such as the contrast and hue was already cut out for us. It still looked a bit too bright on the eyes especially compared to the front cover so I added a black colour fill layer and lowered its opacity.


Next, I added a barcode that I'd saved from google, which is basically a necessity for every album cover. After that I added other technical necessary information that is conventionally placed on the back cover - the label logo(s) and copyright text. I added the logo of NC Records and beneath it copy and pasted the "P" and "C" in circles which are symbols for sound recordings and copyright. The rest of the text I took from the back of a k-pop album I own plus The 1975's digipak because why not.



The only thing left now was the main part - the tracklist. Even though an initial idea was to arrange them is a semi-random placement, we decided to keep it simple because it looked well with the background. Deciding the song names was fairly easy because we have Hira our name generator, if that wasn't by now. We decided to have a mix of English and Urdu songs because it seemed more realistic for a Pakistani indie artist, however it is natural we kept more English names because that was the vibe of the album, leaning towards a more westernised image.



 For the sake of consistency, we went with Libby as the font for the tracklist, and then just duplicated the tracks, left aligned them and placed them at the centre of the cover. We definitely ended up with more than 7-9 tracks but oh well.




After this though, I made a few changes in the song names. This is what the digipak back cover looks like:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection Essay

  My essay of the critical reflection of my work in the Advanced Portfolio will mainly address the following compulsory questions: How do my products represent social groups or issues? How do the elements of my production work together to create a sense of "branding"? How do my products engage with the audience? How did my research inform my products and the way they use or challenge conventions? All of my products in the artist's promotion package - music video, digipak and social media - were all constructed after meticulous planning phases in order to effectively reach the audience. This included great consideration given to the sort of message or concept, and the social group that we wanted to represent through our music video. The song that we chose, "Party Police" is pretty straightforward - the lyrics are about a couple whose relationship is gradually deteriorating, and as we hear from her perspective, one of them is striving to hold it together by any me

Music Video Final Cut

Since, she has now dropped Media Studies, Hira emailed me the Premiere file of the music video as well as the video itself that she edited on the 9th and then after I had requested some changes, she sent me another version on the 10th. However, due to the fact that she no longer took the subject and hence the bigger communication gap, I decided to make some remaining changes and alterations to the video myself, which included rearranging some clips and adding a different opening scene: After that I colour graded some parts of the footage to add a slight vintage effect, but not too much. I did this by adjusting the "faded film" scale in the Lumetri colours tab, and adding a slight noise effect to some clips. For some clips I downloaded a VHS overlay to get a *drumroll* VHS effect, by placing the overlay on top of the clip and setting the blend mode to "Screen". I felt that this added the lofi, retro handicam effect that we were initially aiming for as well not just b